Catalog copywriting skills reach far beyond the pages of a catalog…did you know that?
That’s right, the skills needed to write short catalog copy are easily transferable to other types of short descriptions, for example, a real estate property description.
Recently, I was asked by a realtor to rewrite a property description.
I was happy to oblige because like any other freelance copywriting professional, I’m always willing to demonstrate my abilities.
Without further ado, this is how it went:
The Original Version
WELCOME TO THE SHINING ROCK COMMUNITY, THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR AN EASIER LIFESTYLE... Start checking the boxes!!! *1*. More free time without giving up comforts of home. *2*. Light, bright, clean, freshly painted and move in ready * 3*. 1st floor Master Bedroom retreat with separate commode *4*. An open concept floor plan. suited for entertaining * 5. * 3 Bedrooms and 2/1/2 baths * 6. * Two car attached garage and full-size basement to finish, workshop space and storage *7. * Location This unit is at the end of a tree lined lane and walk to Award Winning Golf Course and Rockdale Grill., *8* Private deck and outdoor space. *9* Must allow Pets. Absolutely. *10*, Great commuter location. 495, 90, 146 Worcester, Providence, and Boston. ****** All year around or "lock it and leave it" snow birds, this is a comfortable attractive property to call home.
My Revised Version
HAD IT WITH THE HECTIC LIFESTYLE? 10 REASONS WHY LIFE’S SIMPLER AT SHINING ROCK…
1. No more time-consuming home and yard maintenance. More time for fun stuff!
2. Move-in ready; light, bright, freshly painted, and clean.
3. Open concept floor plan, if entertaining is your thing.
4. Your own retreat – 1st floor Master bedroom with separate commode.
5. 3 bedrooms, 2 ½ baths for visiting family or guests.
6. Two-car, attached garage and full-size, unfinished basement – that workshop or extra storage you’ve always dreamed of?
7. Peaceful location at end of tree-lined lane that’s walking distance to award-winning golf course and Rockdale Grill.
8. Private deck and outdoor space.
9. Pets are ALWAYS welcome.
10. Worcester, Providence, and Boston less than an hour’s commute away; 495, 146, and 90 close by.
Whether living year-round or ‘lock it and leave it’ snowbirds, this no-fuss, appealing property epitomizes what home should be.
Like catalog copy, property descriptions have restricted word capacity, so the less words you can use, the more specific your copy needs to be.
And specificity always outpulls generalities. Hmmm, sounds like another blog topic…
In any event, whether you’re writing 25 words to pitch a handbag or a house, the basic copy approach is the same.
Know your audience, know the item’s major selling points and their benefits, and then compose your copy so it speaks to your customers and promotes the benefits.
Comments are closed.
Suzanne Quigley - Copywriter